Thursday 6 February 2020

Writing; the lonely Art – Part Two – a Solution of Sorts



Back in November I wrote a post, Writing; the lonely Art, about how writing: unlike all the other artistic disciplines, isn’t one that can be displayed, exhibited, or performed for quick and easy consumption, and therefore how it can be difficult for the non-writery folks in your life, to comprehend how you’re doing or see your progress. 



Obviously this is why having writer friends around you that help support you and vice versa is so imperative, but sometimes you still want to show/explain to a non-writery friends or relatives when they’re interested.



So after a lot of thinking I came up with a solution of sorts. A way of visually displaying and recording my writer’s journey in a way that can be easily shared. Making the most of the pre-Christmas photo printing website sales, I designed a photobook of my writing journey from 2010 until 2019.



In the book I’ve put photos of competition long-listings, short-listing’s, honorary mentions and wins, either certificates, web-site announcements, screen shots from twitter, to show my small achievements. I’ve also put in photos’ of my volunteering for SCBWI, work in Book Shops and time with Book Bound and The Golden Egg Academy. Along with photos of the many friends I’ve made along the way. 



It’s not quite a ‘record of achievement’ nor is it a ‘portfolio’, it is more of a record of my journey to share with people who are interested and for me to look through in those times where rejections are coming in thick and fast and I start to doubt my ability and progress. A small thing to reminding me how far I’ve come, and that although I may not be published, that I have had small successes and that I have gained a wealth of writery friends.



2 comments:

  1. Do you know, I've been meaning to do something like this too! It must have been a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candy, it was really lovely to do, looking back at all the photos, and didn't really take very long. The most time consuming thing was compiling the photos, but the designing of the book was easy as the website has an automatic design function, that can edited and tweaked. i did discover that i'm terrible at taking photos though, and i don't have ,any/any with me and my closest writer buddies. i really must get better, especially as it's so easy with phone cameras.

      Delete