In My Own World - World Building
It has been a while since I last blogged. WHY? I've been world building. Not with a few bits of stone, and soils, but constructing a galaxy in my head – 'there’s space,' I can hear some of you shouting! Joking aside, it’s been a learning experience, I'm half way through the manuscript of my latest book a; YA/Sci-Fi - Dickensian Motorcycles Diaries In Space, when I realised I couldn't keep track of everything. Begrudgingly I stopped writing and have been spending much needed time writing the world building down in a more through way. So this is a very quick post about how the world building is going…
So, to get the world building out of my head (to free up much needed brain power), I've been:
- · Drawing maps (which I love).
- · Working out planet sizes, and settlement sizes in relation to the planet (which I like not so much –MATHS ARGH!)
- · Noting down smaller but essential information like, water, vegetation, etc.
- · Working out the social structures of the galaxy.
- · Creating character profiles, with pictures and images – this is particularly fun.
- · Writing down the rules of the dialect and languages (this is especially challenging with my dyslexia!)
|My sketch book|
Despite having had all this in my head (plus noted in various scattered notebooks), its taking much longer to consolidate it and put to paper than I expected, BUT it’s worth it. Writing it down is making me think about every aspect in much more details than I had been and is strengthening the worlds, making them more convincing, plus it is sparking my imagination in unexpected ways making the story stronger.
|My ever growing world building noticeboard|
So the reason that my blogging has been sparse is that I'm in my own world!